Monday, November 30, 2009

Thankfulness.

What are you thankful for?

During the craziness of the Thanksgiving holiday accompanied by festive Christmas shopping, I never stopped and spent time thanking God.

When I finally did stop and begin thinking of the blessing to praise God for, my first thoughts were: health, family, financial provision... all of which are true and wonderful blessings from the Lord. However, once I began praying through each of those things, my heart was convicted. What is good health if you don't live for the Lord? What is having a family that isn't united in Christ? What is financial stability apart from Christ? What I truly need to be thankful for is my life in Christ. He has shown me through His word that we are called to "give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 1 Thessalonians 5:18

Wes and I recently started praying through a handout our church provided called "30 days of Gratitude". It has drawn my attention to the precious gifts I all too often take for granted: my salvation, God's goodness, an entrance into God's presence, His Word, believing friends and family, His provision, faithfulness, steadfast love, and the list goes on.

May I encourage you to take a moment and praise the Lord for EVERYTHING- "Giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ." Ephesians 5:20

1 comment:

Boni Williamson said...

Jenny! This is very well put. I, too, realize that without Christ nothing I am thankful for would be work it. Thanks for the reminder!