Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Prepared hearts.

Long before our Thursday appointment, the Lord had begun preparing our hearts to hear the news of our son. Let me share a few of the ways He did.

Wes had been asked to preach in our church this coming Sunday and he had been praying through a few different texts to decide which one to preach. He had been walking me through each one as a time of family worship as well as getting some feedback on my thoughts. The texts that the Lord had laid on his heart were:
James 1:2-4 - the theology of trials
Hebrews 4:1-11 - there is rest available for those who respond in obedience to God's Word
Matthew 14:22-33 - the confession that Jesus is the Son of God should result in worship

Our hearts were prepared.

I am in a weekly book study that is currently studying "Lord, I Want to Know You" by Kay Arthur. We have been on the same 2 chapters for almost a month, due to having to cancel for different reasons-vacations, family, etc. I must admit, I had read and reread those 2 chapters for several weeks now and was VERY ready to move on. We had been studying the names "Jehovah-Shalom"- The Lord is Peace and "Jehovah-mekoddishkem"- The Lord who sanctifies you. The Lord knew that I needed to really know Him as my God of Peace and my God that sanctifies before Thursday. We discussed these on Tuesday.

Our hearts were prepared.

During Thursday's sonogram, our sonographer stepped out to "go get some more tape" and our nurse popped in the exam room. She was a little confused because she was told by the sonographer that she needed to meet in our room with our doctor, but no one was in the room but us. When she told us this, we knew something was up. She left the room to find out more information. We were given a small window of time to pray.

Our hearts were prepared.

Driving home from the sonogram appointment, Wes and I were crying and mumbling random thoughts back and forth to each other trying to make sense of the situation we had just been faced with. When all the sudden, we heard an angel from the backseat. "Mom-ma" "Mom-ma." At that precious moment, our heads cleared and the Lord used our sweet daughter to comfort us from her carseat.

Our hearts were prepared.

Friday, Wes and I woke up early and spent some time praying. We were both checking emails as so many friends and family had sent prayers and encouraging words. Wes decided to check facebook messages. A friend of his that didn't even know our current situation had posted a link by John Piper. Wes, thinking this would be nice diversion from the situation, said "Let's see what Piper says about the prosperity gospel...", with a smile on his face.



Our hearts were prepared.

On Thursday, we were hit by a blow that will forever change our lives....And we thank Him that our hearts were prepared.

7 comments:

The Carroll Family said...

God is Enough......

Rhonda said...

very encouraged by this post.

Anonymous said...

Jen and Wes, I am Emily Damron Beaty's mom, and I am Praying for your sweet family!
Is. 43:1 - 5
Thank you for sharing your heart!
karen damron

Boni Williamson said...

Jenny, you are an inspirational writer. God gave you a gift and a way to reach others.

Would you mind if I posted about your family on my blog? Email me with your feelings. bwilli4@yahoo.com

I know this is a hard situation, but I feel others can be supported through your strength and trust in God.

Darrell and Cindy said...

Amanda was a year old when the doctor told us that she was retarded and should go to an institution but my Nannan who was a woman of strong unwavering faith said, "Listen to God and he will tell you what is right." Amanda grew strong and beautiful and rode horses and ice skated and taught those around that even a retarded child can bring joy. Amanda was 12 when the seizures started and the doctors said she wouldn't live out the year. That was 11 years ago. She smiles, and wags her finger when she wants my attention, and snuggles her head on my shoulder when we all sit together on the couch. Some people look at my beautiful daughter and say how sorry they are. But I know what God knows. Amanda brings joy to those who know her and peace to those who touch her. She is my gift from God and I thank him every day for blessing me with this wonderous gift. God is enough to make you strong when you need strength and powerful when Wesley Adam needs your power, and defiant when the doctors want you to give up. We are praying for your family,

Aunt Cheryl said...

We serve an awesome God that loves us more than we deserve. He prepares our hearts before we need it. He is all we need...to Him be the glory! Thank you for your powerful testimony. I love you four!

Aunt Barbara said...

We were all created for a purpose... to bring glory to our God. He looks so beautiful in you. I love you so.